The First Quarterly Report for Startup and Trademark Registrations in India put together by Startup Success Stories and Vakilsearch – an online legal services platform – have partnered to give you a comprehensive overview of the business trends in India. In this report, Startup Success Stories and Vakilsearch track the number of incorporations and trademark registrations made over the second quarter (April, May, June) of 2019, along with a look at the related trends.
Overview of India’s Incorporation Landscape
Types of Companies:
|Row Labels||April||MAY||June||Grand Total|
|One Person Company||626||700||577||1903|
Top 10 States for Company Incorporation:
|Row Labels||April||MAY||June||(blank)||Grand Total|
Approximate 42,000 companies registered in Q1 2019
The second quarter of 2019 saw a slight dip in the total number of companies registered at 42,000 this year in comparison to the first quarter. Amongst these, 68% of companies registered are Private Limited and 26 % are Indian LLPs.
Hottest hubs for incorporation in India
In the second quarter, Maharashtra has once again witnessed the maximum number of incorporations, with a total of 8,993 businesses incorporated. This is followed by Delhi with a total of 5,191 businesses incorporated during this quarter. The third and the fourth positions go to Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka with 3,862 and 3,544 incorporations, respectively as seen in the first quarter.
Over 83,176 Trademarks registered in Q1 2019
The total trademarks registered in the country stood at 83,176 in Q1 2019. In June, total trademarks registered declined by 5 % in comparison to May. However, comparing June to April, there has been an approximate 6% dip in Trademark Registrations.
India has captured the global market for its ease of doing business and has been recognised as one of the fastest-growing economies in the world. This can be tied to its direct impact of the increase in Business incorporations and trends in the country. Thereby positioning India in the 77th spot in the ease of doing business amongst 190 countries in the world.
In the past decade, the cascading growth and explosion of Start-ups powered by strategic government policies have nurtured the start-up ecosystem in the country. This key phase of India’s development makes tracking its growth pivotal.
- Total incorporations in Q1 stood at 41,988. In June, business incorporations declined to 15 % from May. However, comparing June and April, there has been a 2 % increase in the incorporations
- The total number of incorporations stood at 12,608 on June 2019, 14,803 in May, and at 14,577 in April
- The number of foreign companies registered in Q1 totalled to 31. Foreign companies registrations have been slightly irregular month-on-month with 10 foreign companies registered on June, 13 in May and 8 in April
TYPES OF COMPANIES REGISTERED
- Around 30.8% of the companies registered in June were private companies; another 28% of them were Indian LLPs
- Total number of private companies registered declined by 6% in June vs May, and was up by 3% from April vs May
- Total number of Indian LLPs registered has seen a 6% decrease in June vs May and a 7% decrease for May vs April
- In comparison to Quarter 1 where Public companies contributed to a very nominal percentage towards the total number of companies registered. However, in quarter two, Public companies have contributed to almost 2% of the total company registrations
- Public registrations of companies also saw a 1% increase from June vs May
TOP HUBS FOR INCORPORATION
- For three months in a row, Maharashtra witnessed the maximum number of incorporations, with a total of 8,993 company registrations in Q1
- Delhi saw the second-highest number of business incorporations in the second quarter at 5,191 registrations, followed by Uttar Pradesh at 3,862
BRAND PROTECTION – TRADEMARK TRENDS JURISDICTION-WISE RANKING
TOTAL NUMBER OF TRADEMARKS APPLIED
- The total number of trademark registrations for the quarter stood at 83,176
- In June, trademark registrations declined by 12.6% from May 2019
FOREIGN COMPANIES: 31
|Oceaneering International GmbH|
|Aoki Technical Laboratory Inc|
|KYOWA Electronic Instruments Co. Ltd.|
|NATIONAL PETROLEUM CONSTRUCTION COMPANY|
|BARTEC PTE LTD|
|Kimura Chemical Plants Co. Ltd.|
|Kreuz Subsea Technologies Pte. Ltd.|
|BOSKALIS OFFSHORE CONTRACTING B.V.|
|Whessoe Engineering Limited|
|EDF INTERNATIONAL NETWORKS|
|Japan Third Party Co. Ltd.|
|EAPOWER PTE. LTD.|
|PISEC GROUP GmbH|
|MSI PACIFIC INTERNATIONAL HOLDING CO LTD|
|Kimura Chemical Plants Co. Ltd.|
|MEMSTAR PTE LTD|
|Sejin Technical Industires Co. Limited|
|TGT Oilfield Services DMCC|
|Hunan Kori Converters Co. Ltd.|
|Dong Il Engineering Consultants Co. Ltd.|
|CHCS Services Inc. Limited (IT/ITES)|
|Toyox Co. Ltd.|
You can also download the report in PDF format by clicking here.