There is only one answer to global challenges faced by sectors such as agriculture, health, environment and energy: Biotechnology.
- Biotechnology provides solutions to combat rare disease in the field of medicine; increase agricultural production; decrease post-harvest losses, addresses the crucial problem of food shortage; an effective solution for cleaner and energy efficient manufacturing process that, in turn, reduces our carbon footprint.
- As per India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF) report, the Biotechnology industry in India, comprising about 800 companies, is valued at US$ 11 billion and is growing at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 20 percent. The National Biotechnology Development Strategy (2015-20) aims to accelerate the pace of growth of biotechnology sector in India at par with global requirements.
Therefore, to promote, support and facilitate the overall development of
- Biotechnology in Gujarat. Biotechnopreneur Programme is an initiative by Gujarat State Biotechnology Mission (GSBTM) in association with Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII) under the aegis of Department of Science and Technology (DST).
“BIOTECHNOPRENEUR PROGRAMME 2016-17” is the perfect platform which bridges this gap and enables entrepreneurs to get an all around academic and practical insight into business opportunities. This is the third batch of the programme. It is a 10-month course, offered over weekends on Saturdays and Sundays for 3-4 hours which comprises of 100 hours devoted to classroom sessions that will be held at EDII campus, Ahmedabad. 60 hrs for assignments and 160 hrs for mentoring & handholding. Mentoring could be kept either at EDII campus or at GSBTM.
Aim of the Biotechnopreneur Programme
The programme aims to provide hand-holding support from mentors and experts from Life Sciences sphere. We equip the incubatees in business opportunity identification, technology evaluation, etc. along with management, legal, ethical and regulatory issues associated with commercialising their Biotech Start Up/Business.
In this programme, participants have to go through interactive sessions with experts, entrepreneurs, industrial visits, hands-on sessions, and project.
In addition to this, the programme helps in developing a vision, confidence, and expertise to strategically build the participants Biotech Ventures. Through its intensive curriculum, the programme sensitizes participants about multifaceted financial, marketing and regulatory issues related to biotechnology.
WHY SHOULD YOU ENROLL?
Want to have your own start-up or have an idea in the tremendously growing field of Life Sciences and allied Biotechnology domains? Need experts and mentors to give direction to your idea?
Then, yes you should get yourself enrolled for this programme.
As being a weekend programme, the key point is, you can do this programme along with your job or existing business.
You can be:
- Professionals from Biotech /Pharmacy/ Chemical Industry
- Biotech Researchers
- Owners of Micro, Small or Medium Enterprises (MSMEs)
- Budding Entrepreneurs
- Life Science Graduates
How to apply for the Biotechnopreneur Programme?
- The candidate interested in the Biotechnopreneur Programme should apply online through http://biotechnopreneur.in/.
- Final selection will be based on personal interview.
- Course fees: 50,000/- INR
(The programme fees is 1.5 lakh, from which 1 lakh is supported by the Gujarat State Biotechnology Mission (GSBTM). So, only one-third of the amount has to be paid by the participant.)
Feedback of Past Participants
- “Excellent programme emphasizes innovative and scientific approach which helps build and nurture entrepreneurs in Life Science field.” Punit Popat (2010-11).
- “I chose the Biotechnopreneur Programme at EDII because of its intensive curriculum and valuable insights from leading professionals and market leaders. In this programme, students can choose any related field in biotechnology to explore and prepare a business plan to actually start their own biotech venture.” Dr. Neeru Singh (2012-2013).
- “It was only when I participated and enrolled in this Biotechnopreneur Programme at EDII that I began to discover skills and interest I hadn’t really expected to find in myself. From quiet early on, I noticed an instinctive pull towards the business side of the whole biotechnology sector.” Heta Pandit (2012-13).